Don’t panic! We have your comfort in mind.
We understand that some patients have had traumatic experiences in dentistry or have other anxieties about their treatment. Dr. Ashley strives to meet your individual comfort needs. We want to provide you with a calm and enjoyable experience so you can get the dental care you need without additional delays.
For those who have increase stress and anxiety around dental visits, here are a few tips:
- Talk to our staff about your feelings. Our staff is trained to offer you a variety of strategies to reduce your anxiety.
- Besides blankets and pillows we offer headphones for your personal use. Bring along some of your favorite music or use our iPod to listen to the radio during your appointment.
- Plan your visit for a time when you aren’t feeling rushed.
For mild or moderate levels of anxiety we recommend NuCalm alone or in combination with Nitrous Oxide gas.
For people with a high level of anxiety, those that have quite a bit of treatment to complete, or for those with special needs, sedation dentistry can assist in ensuring you receive the oral care you need in a comfortable environment free of emotional or psychological trauma. There are many times where patients who begin treatment with sedation are able to eventually complete treatment with only the help of Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) because they have been able to build their confidence.
We offer the following types of sedation:
- Nitrous Oxide gas
- oral conscious sedation
Learn more about these options below.
NuCalm… the all-natural way to experience a relaxing dental visit.
Say “yes” to greater comfort and faster dental appointments with the NuCalm dental system. There are no side effects, and no recuperative time required.
Deep relaxation is achieved through 4 simple steps. NuCalm is administered by our dental team at the beginning of your appointment and takes approximately five minutes to apply. While listening to soothing music, you will relax comfortably in the chair for the entire appointment and will simply not care about the dentistry being done.
- All-Natural Chewable Tablets or Calming Cream—Both the tablets and the cream are natural adrenaline blockers. They don’t interrupt normal function. They simply inhibit “fight-or-flight response” so anxiety can’t control your body.
- CES Patches—Microcurrent stimulation patches are placed just behind your ears. Using small levels of electrical current, they cue your brain to relax just as you would before sleep.
- Headphones—Special headphones block out all stress-inducing sound and serenade you with specially programmed music. This software keeps your brainwaves in the beta stage, imitating pre-sleep relaxation.
- Light-Blocking Glasses—These specially designed glasses simply block out visual stimuli, allowing your body to fully enjoy the soothing efects of the NuCalm system.
NuCalm can be a part of your next dental treatment. You can learn more about the NuCalm system by giving us a call today!
Oral Conscious Sedation
When a patient needs oral conscious sedation, we will schedule a two hour block of time to complete the treatment appointment.
You will pick up two medications from the pharmacy. One, you will take the night before the appointment, the other you will bring with you to your appointment. You will be given a combination of the medication, NuCalm and Nitrous Oxide gas about 30 minutes prior to your treatment. This medicine will help lower you inhibitions and may make you sleepy, although the sedatives are not intended to put you to sleep. The sedation medicines given also have a slight amnesia effect.
Your safety is of utmost importance during a sedation appointment, so if the sedation guidelines are not followed completely, the appointment will be rescheduled and a re-booking fee may apply.